ONESTI AWARD 2014: Alberto Tomba and Sara Simeoni Olympic champions of the century in the year of the CONI Centenary

tomba-simeoniThe President of CONI, Giovanni Malagò, in agreement with the President of the Onesti Foundation, Franco Carraro, has announced the names of the winners of the "Giulio Onesti" Award 2014, on the occasion of the CONI Centenary celebrations, which have been identified from among the living Olympic athletes of the century.

The survey, which recorded a resounding success in terms of participation with almost 50 thousand preferences expressed, has crowned Alberto Tomba from among the men and Sara Simeoni from among the women: they are the Olympic champions that symbolise the 100 years of the Italian National Olympic Committee.

The nomination was made mainly through a vote by 60% of athletes winning Olympic and Paralympic gold medals and the remaining 40% was made by athletes and fans, through the websites of the three Italian sports newspapers, Gazzetta dello Sport, Corriere dello Sport and TuttoSport, in addition to those of Rai Sport and Sky Sport, which over the years have transmitted the Olympic competitions. The award ceremony will be held during the centenary celebrations of the Italian National Olympic Committee planned for Monday 9th June, in the presence of the President of the Italian Republic, Giorgio Napolitano.